I chose the option 3 to find pre-existing Internet-based activities for ESL/EFL learners, which I think would be useful for my future EFL classroom. Although teachers could use the same activities or methods in ESL and EFL environments, there are many things that teachers should take into accounts when implementing them because two environment are very different. ESOL learners in K12 in the U.S are required to learn new language and the subject contents at the same time, and academic language skills are rather focused to learn then communicative language skills in this environment. However, in the EFL environment, e.g. teaching English in K12 in Korea, a communicative language learning with skill-based activities is a focus rather than an academic language learning because they are learning subjects in their native language. The article, Teaching ESL Versus EFL: Principles and Practices, by Daniel Krieger, gives you more insights about the issue.
This article helped me with clear understanding about how task-based webquests could be integrated into skill-based ESL or EFL curriculum.
Most of the pre-existing activities I found are for high intermediate and advanced English learners.
http://www.call-esl.com/samplewebquests/lesson-template3.htm : This is a well-designed webquest for advanced ESL college students who prepare to study in an American universities. Students are required to sit in an American college classroom to observe an American professor and students. ESL students finally learn American college customs and compare them with their native countries, which might be so much interesting if you have students from many different cultures. In the EFL environment, I think that I could use this task if I can show a video of an American college classroom (if possible) to the student, which might be a substitute for the step 4. Students can practice extensive reading, writing in preparing PowerPoint slides, and speaking while making a presentation at the end.
http://www.angelfire.com/az2/webenglish/koko.htm : In this treasure hunt task, students can practice scanning strategy in reading because it involves searching rapidly through a text to find a specific point of information. Before doing the activity, students needs to know a purpose of reading and how this strategy can be used in their reading outside the classroom.
http://www.eslgo.com/classes/mi/ : I love this site, which is a multiple intelligence webquest for adult English learners. I myself did the test to know my MI, and I received high marks on mathematics and Visual/Spatial, which I expected. :) Through this task, students could have an opportunity to evaluate their own intelligence and let the teacher know about them more. At the same time, students are exposed to read a lot of English articles. Also, they are involved in writing a report in English.
http://www.nelliemuller.com/Whydidtheydothat_Student.htm : The task is to research flags of other countries and origins of them. Through this task, students could expand their knowledge about other countries and improve cross-cultural understanding, as well as improving language skills. I like this task because multicultural understanding is my interest. Also, considering English as a global language,I hope my students in Korea learn not only English-speaking countries but also non-English speaking countries including, developing countries to have a true global mind.
Finally, I guess that one of the reasons why the Internet is so popular in the EFL learning is because the Internet is a perfect tool that students can practice listening and speaking. In the EFL environment, English learners are rarely exposed to the language-rich environment. So the technology provides a virtual place that they can hear and speak the authentic language. http://www.esl-lab.com/guide.htm provides learners with listening activities based on specific topics, which provides semi-authentic environment to practice English. Students could self-study for listening exercise, and work in a pair or a group for pre- or post-listening activities.
http://www.manythings.org/ provides word games, puzzles, quizzes, exercises, slang, proverbs and much more for fun study, which will help students with building up bottom-up skills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment