Thursday, November 02, 2006

My culmintating assignment update

This week I want to share how my culminating assignment- creating a website, is going on. As a novice creator, I think I am pretty struggling with technical issues, such as designs, colors and graphics. However, since Dr.Dawson said that she does not expect me to create a mammoth website, I am trying not to hurry up. It would take longer time to make my website look fancy.

To submit my draft last week, I scanned the module of week 6 and storyboarded my website like below.
1) Purpose: It is a personal and educational website to share information with the intended audiences rather than a classroom web presence.
2) Audience:
- Students who are learning English or Korean as a foreign/second language (Targets might be young adults or adults.)
- ESL teachers
- Anyone who want to know me
3) Functions:
- Provide resources for the intended audiences
- Share my interests
- Communicate with the intended audiences
- Discuss the topics I am interested in with the audiences who have the same interests
4) contents:
- About me (personal & educational background)
- Bilingualism
- TESL
- ESL
- Korean
- a messageboard or forum

Well, it seemed okay so far but I was not sure if my website would look good with those ideas. Next I searched free web editors to create a web page, and found a Mozzilla free web editor that is equivalent to a Netscape composer. (Actually I tried to download the Netscape composer, but could not find where to download. I just realized that it is bundled in a Netcape browser software.)
I decided a left menu with a fixed top. The web editor looked easy to use just like a word processor, which made me think "Not a big deal!" As working on it, I realized that things are not going well as I thought. After finishing a rough draft, I spent hours uploading my pages into a UF plaza server, but failed. I guess it was because I did not have much information about FTP application. Well, if something does not work well, try other solutions.

A blog entry from Crystal helped me think about a free web hosting, so I searched the Internet and found one, which provided me an easy step to transfer my files to the server. After a while, my website was uploaded online successfully at ikyang.fateback.com. I was very proud of myself to accomplish a task. However,it looks so ugly. :( Comparing to my classmates' websites, mine seems worst. :-O
Now I think that I need to study a web editor more with online tutorials and a book. I will borrow "The non-designer's web book" to study, and may try Dreamweaver.
Although being challenged technically, I enjoy becoming a producer of WWW as I was just a consumer all the time, which is like transferring from a passive user to an active user. It is exciting!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me and let me have your feedback on my work whatever it is.

1 comment:

Crystal Crozier said...

I always love to read your blog. Your zest for learning is amazing. I am glad you are learning so much about transferring your web page to the net, and I am glad I could be of assistance.

I already think you are doing a great job on your page, but I can't wait to see what you have at the end of the course. With everything you are studying, I am sure it will be amazing.